Wednesday 16 April 2014

The Reason Why I Hate Exercise

Yes, I accidentally picked up the wrong colour and now she has a yellow forehead...

Drifting away slightly from my usual type of posts, I hope you like it all the same.

You know that moment when you remember something horrendously embarrassing from ages ago and you can feel yourself go red and get that horrible feeling all over again. You could be sat on a bus, doing coursework at school or just about to drift off to sleep and then bam, you're the biggest idiot ever! What were you thinking? That feeling where you never want to see anyone from that situation ever again and the only reasonable resolution you can muster in that moment of time is to burry yourself in a hole and never leave. You know the feeling?

Well, I had one of these recently and I think this may of been one of the most embarrassing things that has happened to me and trust me, I embarrass myself an awful lot. And, for some incredibly strange reason, I thought I should document it so I can return and remember it all over again, relive the cringe-feeling whenever I want.

I'll set the scene for you. It was PE (I think this is called gym class in America), my worst lesson. I am the worst at sports and apparently I have the weirdest run, my friends constantly laugh at me for it. But today's lesson was different. It was the first PE lesson of year 9, the sport we were starting was gymnastics and we had been up into new teaching groups. My first ever gym class in our newly set mixed groups. I was previously in an all girls set so you can imagine the horror I felt when I realised we were doing a sport I had never done before in front of people I didn't know all that well.  Not being particularly talented at any sport myself, my only wish was for the ground to swallow me up there and then.

Our task for the lesson was the volt, or at least I think that's what it was called. Basically, we had to run up and jump on a spring board to jump over a small wall. I think you can probably tell where this is going...

The whole class forms a queue in order to take their turn on the dreaded jump. I strategically took a place nearer the end of the queue. I don't know why, was I secretly hoping that the bell might ring and I wouldn't have to go or that someone would hurt themselves before my go so I would have to endure the run up? Either way, this never happened and it quickly became my turn. I stood there, eyeing up the wall, mentally preparing myself for everyone laughing at my run. If only I knew... 

With inpatient friends pestering me to hurry up, I went for it. The whole class, lined up within perfect view of the jump, stood watching. To my surprise, the run up went rather smoothly, not a single snigger of laughter to be heard. Everything was fine and I felt a little bit more confident. Jumping on the spring board wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be either. Completely fine. But I hadn't thought this all the way through and didn't propel myself enough to leap-frog over the wall. What was the perfect run up quickly turned into a major crash landing and I ended up belly-flopping the wall. I dived stomach first into a wall I front of a brand new class. I was utterly mortified. So mortified that I didn't fully think through my next moves either. Instead of standing up and laughing along with my peers, the recommended way to smoothly exit any type of embarrassing situation, I decided to best way to exit this was to slide down the other side of the wall at a painfully slow rate whilst my dignity was washed away by the laughter of my classmates. This was not one of my best decisions and the laughter of the audience only grew louder the longer I kept sliding. And it wasn't a fall either, it was definitely a slow decent down the side of what was actually a rather small wall.

Writing it down now, I can laugh at how utterly horrendously I handled this situation. I remember laughing at the time, but on the inside I was dying. No one wants to be the first to make a mistake in new group situations, let alone make a blunder as stupid as that with the whole class watching. But, I guess you learn from things like this. For example, this taught me that sliding is definitely not a smooth way to exit embarrassing situations. Well that, and I most definitely HATE exercise.

Tasmin x

No comments:

Post a Comment