I've seen this type of post floating around for ages now and thought it be a great opportunity to let you know a little bit more about me. Well, that and I wanted to challenge myself to think of twenty-five facts about myself (I know there's a fifty facts version but I know that I'm not that interesting! Aha) These facts aren't in any particular order but I hope you enjoy:
1. My name is Tasmin (but you already knew that!)
2. I was born on the island of Guernsey. Guernsey is part of the Channel islands, a group of small islands way south of England and I've lived there all my life.
3. I love to dance. I started ballet aged 4 and I still continue to do it. I'm not very good though, so don't expect any performances from me!
4. My favourite word is amazing. I say it far too much but I can't help it, it's an amazing word!
5. I'm not very well travelled. Apart from France (which is ridiculously close to Guernsey), England and other Channel Islands, I haven't really been anywhere. I shouldn't really complain as I've been lucky enough to visit these fantastic places. However, I have a fear of planes so travelling anyway further than England is terrifying as I would have to board two planes just to get to Spain. I'm very much a stay-at-home kind of girl and feel very nervous around unfamiliar surroundings and I often find it hard to relax and enjoy myself when I'm on holiday. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is good though, so I'd like to travel more and experience new cultures.
6. I have a fear of dogs. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think every dog is going to attack me. The fact that both my neighbours have dogs doesn't help.
7. My worst subject at school has always been P.E. I think this is called gym class in America but basically it's sports. I have always sucked at sports, I'm not a fast runner and I was never encouraged to improve. I much prefer dance as its more about balance and performance rather than running and scoring.
8. Although they haven't been around for nearly a decade, I still love Busted. For those of you who weren't in Britain during the early noughties, Busted were a three piece boy band whose hits still occasionally appear on the radio and music channels. I think I was 6 when they first came around and me and my sister loved their song 'Year 3000.' They were only together for about 3 or 4 years but they still are the best. I can still remember finding out Busted had split up. I was watching a childrens news programme that had a whole article about it. They said Busted split because they thought they couldn't compete with new bands such as Mcfly. To little 7-8 year old me, this was 'Mcfly are the reason that Busted are gone' so I decided that I hated Mcfly. This was hard as Mcfly are so good! I think this fake hatred lasted about 5 years (I can really hold a grudge!). Then Mcfly released Party Girl and I played that on repeat. However, I will forever be a Busted girl. The Big Reunion 2014 maybe?
9. My favourite clothes shop is Miss Guided. It's an online fashion store and I think their clothing is just insanely cool.
10. In 2009, I competed in the Dance World Cup that was held in Jersey that year. Now, before you think I'm professional, it's a completely amateur event but I was competing against dancers who were one exam away from being professionals. So not a lot of pressure for a 12 year old then, eh! I was in a group dance with a lot of my friends and got to represent my island in a world wide event, we had a track suit for the opening ceremony and everything. And we didn't come last! It was such an amazing experience and one that I'll never forget.
11. I am 5 ft 3. So I'm not very tall. In Guernsey folk law, fairies fell in love with the women of the island, so burned all the men in order to be with them. This means that Guernsey people are supposedly short because we are related to fairies. It's such a crazy story but I love it. Short and proud!
12. My favourite film is either The Proposal or 27 Dresses. I love both of these rom-coms as they just make me smile.
13. I'm not very superstitious. Number 13 is not an unlucky number, I'll open umbrellas indoors but if I'm having a bad day, I'll avoid every crack on the pavement!
14. I've never had that one dream job that I've always wanted to do, I've always had a few options and frequently changed my mind. I remember when I was younger, I either wanted to be a pop-star, zoo keeper, an actress or a fashion designer. All of which are very uncommon career paths in Guernsey and I'm unlikely to succeed in any. Even so, I'd love to do any of those jobs (who wouldn't) but I can't sing, act or come up with any original fashion designs. Plus, Guernsey doesn't have a zoo. I guess I'll just have to find something that works with my skills.
15. I won a trophy once. I used to go to this club called the Girls Brigade. I guess it was a little bit like Brownies but I'm not really sure how to explain it. Anyway, each year there was a competition between the Girls Brigade groups of the island where we would do little arts and crafts. One year, my group had to decorate little glasses and I painted mine to look like fire. I think everyone else painted flowers and other girly things but I like to be different. The judges liked it and I won. It was so unexpected, I don't win anything, and I was so surprised to find out that I got a trophy. As I'm typing this I can see that glass that I painted, it's full of junk now but I'm still proud of it.
16. I used to have an addiction to The Sims. Anyone who's played this game will know what I mean. I would literally be on it from the moment I woke till I went to bed. It's scary now looking back at how consumed I was to the game. I think it's the power of control that really got me addicted. I'm such a geek!
17. I am a self confessed chocoholic. I eat far too much chocolate for my own good. So much so, one year a decided to give it up for lent. I'm not hugely religious, but I like to challenge myself and thought this was a good opportunity to. That first week was the worst. I don't think I had been without chocolate before then for any longer than 3 or 4 days and I actually suffered from withdrawal. Yep, I am an addict. I can remember feeling really down and I didn't leave my room much that first weekend of lent. However, it got easier and I lasted the whole 40 days and 40 nights. Would I do it again? Never.
18. My favourite season is autumn. I love the flame coloured leaves this season brings and I love wearing knitted jumpers. I know many people love summer, but I can't handle the heat. My body can't cope with heat waves so summer is spent mostly inside for me. Autumn brings Halloween, bonfire night (although I'm scared of fire) and my birthday. What's not to love?
19. My first ever holiday was to London when I was 4 or 5. I remember going on the London Eye and going to Wembley to watch The Tweenies live. I also got to go on a plane for the first time which I thought was really cool. I wasn't scared of them back then.
20. When I was younger, I used to bite my nails. It took me years to stop. When I'm nervous or sad, it's still my first instinct. Not good.
21. I'm quite a shy person. If I don't know you very well I probably won't talk to you all that much. It's not that I don't like you, I guess I don't have the confidence to speak to people I don't know. However, when you get to know me, you'll find out I'm a bit if a weirdo.
22. When I was in Infants school, about year 1 or 2, I used to get teased about my name because it is unusual and different. The children used to call me Tasmanian Devil because of the cartoon and it sounded like my name. I hated it so much but when I asked them to stop they wouldn't. One even said that my name was stupid. That got me so down. It made me want to change my name. I wanted a normal name like Charlotte or Rachel, not my different, stupid name. It stopped nearly as quickly as it began but I still remember it. I am scared to tell people my name just in case it happens again, sometimes it does. Sometimes I feel like telling people my names something else like Penny; I've done that a couple of times too. However, I like my name and I like being different. Tasmin is here to stay.
23. I don't have any pets. I used to have cats and a hamster but not any more.
24. I love watching American sitcoms like Friends, How I Met Your Mother and New Girl... just to name a few. I find them really easy to get into and funny. Pretty much any American Sitcom shown in Britain, I am a fan of.
25. I think it's scary that within the next 3 months, I'll get my final GCSE results (that's next week and I'm terrified!), I'll start sixth form and I'll be turning 17. A crazy amount of huge things all before November! I'm scared.
So there you go, a little bit more about me. But, hey, I want to hear from you too! Tell me a little fact about yourself in the comments. I promise to reply to them all.