Saturday 5 July 2014

25 Things to do This Summer


It feels very strange not blogging daily at the moment. I enjoyed the 30 Day Snap Challenge far more than I expected and sharing so much of my day to day life wasn't as scary as I originally thought. It actually helped clear my mind and documenting a whole month that I can look back to is something I know I will treasure in the future. This style of blogging was not an idea I loved when I first created this blog but now I really want to continue creating these types of posts. With the summer holidays on the way, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to develop on the lifestyle posts (I guess that's what the style is called) and try out some new things.

My original idea was to create a list of 100 things that I wanted to do this summer. I got up to about 17 and ran out of ideas so took a break to come up with some more. About two weeks later, I still had no new ideas and pretty much gave up on the idea until I came across a video by Mr Alfie Deyes. He pretty much stole my idea but condensed the list to 25. He had my idea but better. And released it earlier. Gutted. However good ideas should be shared so I started rewriting my list. I've also seen a few blog posts following the same idea so I'm sorry to jump on the bandwagon but I did have the idea first. Look, I even have the tweet to prove it. I really need to get a life! :')

Do feel free to follow me on twitter by the way.

The idea is to, starting from now, complete all the activities on the list by the end of summer (3rd September) and blog the results. Some will be far more interesting than others but I'm hoping this will encourage me to do things and not be lazy which we all know is far too tempting to do over the summer. So, here's my list:

1. Go on a beach crawl: It's a bit like a pub crawl, but with beaches. Guernsey is full of stunning beaches but everyone has their favourites and I tend to end up continually going to the same ones over and over again. I think running around the coast with a group of friends will be a lot of fun and we'll get a lot of beautiful photos to share on here with you.
2. Bake with friends: I can't cook, nor can most of my friends. This ought to be interesting.
3. Have a Disney movie marathon: Not everyday in summer is hot in Britain (as evident today) and Guernsey is no exception. You always need a back up plan when the weather isn't fab and who doesn't love a good Disney film?
4. Play crazy golf: I haven't played crazy golf in years so this should be another fun one.
5. Go camping: This one is already organised. I also haven't been camping for years so when I got the opportunity to help out with our schools camping trip, I knew what I had to do. I'm so scared.
6. Go star gazing: Living on an island with such beautifully clear night skies, I really should do this more often.
7. Day trip to Herm or Sark: Herm and Sark are tiny islands that you can only get to through Guernsey so I really should make the effort to visit these island while I still have relatively easy access to them. I've only ever been to Herm on school trips so to go without being under the watchful eyes of teachers would be a freeing experience.
8. Visit Sausmarez Manor: I haven't been there since I was really little and don't really remember it all that well. I know you can feed the ducks there and they have the most amazing chocolate cake. Other than that it will be an adventure.
9. Photo shoot on the cliff paths: I was discussing this with a friend the other day. My island has many cliff paths with the most amazing views and I really should be making the most of this. I also could do with the exercise so...
10. Swim in the sea: I managed to concur this fear last year but now I have reverted back to my scaredy cat ways. I'm very angry at myself but I will swim in the ocean again. I will not let fear control me. Preach it! (Oh my, what have I come to.)
11. Go for a jog: As I mentioned before, I could really do with the exercise. I've never gone out for a jog before but I'm not all that good at running. Low expectations on this one but I want to try something new.
12. Design a blog header: Well, just redesign my blog in general. It's so unpersonalised and doesn't really reflect me and this needs to change. I want my blog to be unique and true to me, which can only be achieved if it comes completely from me. Any tips for blog design would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
13. Have a picnic: I do love a good picnic but my friends aren't always so keen. I will have to be persuasive on this one I think because a picnic of one will be very sad and lonely.
14. Decorate my bedroom: I mentioned this in a post not too long ago but basically my room is boring and not me and I just what it to look pretty.
15. Learn to play a song on the keyboard: Despite being cursed with tiny hands, I used to be able to play a little bit of keyboard when I was younger. Okay, so it's not the coolest of instruments but it worked out well for Coldplay. In fact, I used to be able to play a little Coldplay on the keyboard. If I could re-learn that then I would be happy.
16. Eat a Mr Whippy ice-cream: I haven't had one yet this year and I am not happy. Best. Ice-creams. Ever.
17. Visit a playground first thing in the morning: This is to avoid all the annoying children so I can play on everything without being judged by concerned parents. Why do they only make playgrounds for children? I don't think that is quite fair.
18. Tour the Victor Hugo house: Victor Hugo, the writer of the novel version of Les Mis, was exiled from France and lived in Guernsey for many years where he wrote many of his classics, including some of Les Mis. Although his house is property of Paris now, it is open to the public and is absolutely stunning. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else; it really is a work of art. If you are ever in Guernsey, you must go see it.
19. Go on a midnight walk: Have you ever wondered what the world looks like in the dark when everyone else is sleeping? Well, I have and I don't want it to be a mystery anymore.
20. Watch the final Harry Potter: I know it's been years since it was released, but I still haven't seen The Deathly Hallows Part 2 yet. I already knows what happens too which is a little annoying. When I was younger, my sister was terrified of Harry Potter but I loved it so I'd watch it when she was out. However, she loves it too now so I've been catching up with her and we are finally on the final film. Well, we've been on the final film for a year but just haven't had the time to watch yet. That is, until now. It's been so long so I hope it is worth the wait. I'm sure it will be.
21. Have a pamper evening: Just because it's summer, doesn't mean we can forget about looking after ourselves. A relaxing evening with friends is just what you need after a long day in the sun.
22. Read a book: My sister keeps telling me read this and that but I really don't have the time for books. My reading ability is shockingly bad but there's plenty of time in the summer to slowly make my way through a book and that is exactly what I plan to do.
23. Learn to skateboard: Being the uber cool kid I was, I actually could skateboard a little. Obviously not very well but I remember going to a friends house and playing with her brothers boards on her driveway and having lots of fun. Since the new skate park is now open, I think it's the perfect time to reintroduce myself to the skateboard. If I break an arm you'll know why!
24. Dye my hair: I have been chickening out of this one for two or three years now. When it gets down to it, I'm too scared I won't like it. I don't know why I worry because I'm not my hairs number one fan as it is but I don't want to be stuck with damaged hair that I really hate. I'm thinking if I ombre it, it might be less scary then going all out and if I really hate it then I can cut it off (though I really don't want to do that either!). 
25. Make a YouTube video: This ones going to take a lot of guts and is another thing I've been wanting to do for years. And when I say years, I really do mean years. I can remember watching TV shows like iCarly when I was younger and thinking 'I want to do that. I want my own web show'. And my feelings towards internet video content really hasn't changed. You can do whatever you want and be utterly crazy but no-one questions it because it's the internet. I'm rather shy and definitely not hilarious like the YouTubers we all love and watch, but it's something I've always wanted to do but never had the confidence to do so. I need to push myself out of my comfort zone more and this is less scarier than giving a speech to a hundred people. It's just camera, it's not going to hurt.

This might be the last summer I spend on the island. With the possibility of going to university next year (if I choose to go, I still indecisive about the whole thing) I could be waving goodbye to my island in the scarily near future. So I want to make sure this is a summer to remember and to document all the good times I spend here. I never want to forget.

Tasmin x

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they made a big playground for adults (or at least people like me who pretend to be adults when really they still feel like a child). Lovely list, good luck with all of it!

    http://ring-a-roundarosey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be brilliant! Adult playgrounds should be a thing! Thank you! Xx

      Delete